Monday, February 28, 2011

Copenhagen Live 1969

    My brother Malcolm gave me the 40th Anniversary Legacy Edition of Miles Davis' "Bitches Brew" for Christmas. The third disc of the set is a DVD of a show from Copenhagen in 1969 featuring Miles, Wayne Shorter, Chick Corea, Dave Holland and Jack DeJohnette. I just kept forgetting to watch the damned thing. I enjoyed both discs of the record (though cynically observing, "So THAT'S where Chick Corea's entire career came from!) but just never got around to watching the DVD.
    Until last night. Holy moly! Great googly moogly! That was quite the show. Seventy minutes go by in what seems like about 5. Mr. Davis is highly engaged, and for once leaves his %#@#$% mute in the case. Mr. Shorter does a lovely job, including soprano work that will help you forget Kenny G. Mr. Corea demonstrates that he can play very fast. And well. Whether Dianetics was helping with this at this early date, I do not know.
    Mr. DeJohnette, though, dominates the proceedings. I'll probably get in trouble with the hipsters, but I probably could have gone for a 70-minute Jack DeJohnette solo. Not that anyone played poorly at any time (with one possible exception mentioned below), but DeJohnette was so awesome as to be unbelievable.
    Mr. Holland was undermiked; I could see him playing unbelievably well, but could barely hear him. Until near the end when he got an unfortunate bowed solo. Kids: I can make noise using musical instruments. What we want you to do is make MUSIC using musical instruments. That would be the hard thing. (This is also my reaction when people make traffic noises using wind instruments. Yes, fellows, that was very avant garde in... 1948. In 2011, not so much.)
    Regardless, what a band, what a show. If you can get a hold of the DVD, see it. You will reel in awe. And if you don't, Miles' Explosion At The Crayola Factory outfit ought to hold your interest anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment