Thursday, February 17, 2011

I'm sorry; have we been introduced?

    Oh, hi! I'm John. I'm trying at an advanced age to write a novel but am hindered by certain shortcomings, like not being able to read or write. So I figured I'd blog a bit to get back into the swing of writing regularly (or at all) without the sweat and worry of having, you know, actual readers. Small novel particles may sneak in here and there. However, since I'm trying to write a novel, more likely a symphony or an oil painting will come out instead. I have a willful, intractable and schizophrenic muse. Maybe I shouldn't have used this invocation:
Invocation to the Muses
Muses!
Hey, Muses!
Soooooieee!
Muses, here Muses! C'mon, good Muses. I got a Muses treat for you here.
    I kicked off the open mic session at the South Carolina Writers' Workshop's annual conference in the year 2000 with that. It's probably pitiful to admit it, but it was a peak experience of my life: the very epitome of the impractical joke. It's amazing the things you can do if you get a hot-looking friend to ask on your behalf.
    Vastly more importantly: Happy 90th birthday to a great man and my dad, Dr. Malcolm Ulrich Dantzler. Yaaay!

No comments:

Post a Comment