Friday, June 3, 2016

Who am I anyway?

    I'd like to thank the IRS for giving me something to blog about other than my girlfriend's health, which I suspect she would rather me not do. (By and large, she's fine, by the way.) The IRS sent me a letter a week or more ago wanting proof that Dad was dead and that I was really his executor/personal rep. Before I could cope with that, they sent another asking me to prove that I'm really me. They recommend I visit the IRS's verification website. I did, but it could not verify me and I was instructed to call the 1-800 number.
    The 1-800 number of course immediately told me to go to the verification website. It also warned me that my wait time would be 10 to 15 minutes. I was relaxed; I have both a speaker phone setting and a television. Their muzak was no worse than any bank's and I passed an uneventful wait. Then I heard, "Please wait," dialing, and a voice. Speaking Spanish. I said, "Excuse me?" and the person said that I had been shunted to the Spanish line mistakenly but that she could help me in English. Anyway, that's what I think she would have said except the line was cut at that point. I assume that she accidentally hung up on me. My enthusiasm for this project, never high, has tumbled after being cut off five seconds into a conversation after a 15 minute wait. However, I did and do think it's funny as hell. As it's a 24-hour line, I'm thinking of trying at 4 in the morning. Thinking is a long way from doing of course. But one has to get through somehow if one wants his tax refund, which they warn will still be another 9 weeks away after all this is done. Thanks identity thieves! I just love ya! (Identity thieves in general who caused this level of caution; to the best of my knowledge, my identity is safe.) Wish IRS would just give me an address to go to where I could show my picture ID and sign a statement that hell yes I filed that 1040 form. But that would make sense.

No comments:

Post a Comment