Sunday, June 5, 2011

Hoping for the best, dreading the worst

    Where the worst is Dad dying, and the next to worst is him spending the rest of his days bedridden or wheelchair bound. I think it's what we're all afraid of, especially him. He's doing a good job of acting brave, and we are, too. He's only getting an hour a day of physical therapy. It being Baptist Hospital, they skip Sundays. (If it were Communist Hospital, he'd be doing corvee service digging a canal for physical therapy, so there's that.) I wish they would at least teach him exercises to do in bed. It seems like a waste just lying there; that is, a waste for him.
    Yesterday, he said, "I don't think I've had any water." I answered as if it had been apropos of something, but it turned out he thought a nurse was there to give him insulin. You could call that hallucinating or you could call it dreaming and talking in his sleep. Either way it was more than a little disturbing. I don't want him having any more seizures, but if this is a side effect of Dilantin I'll be happier when he's off it.
    It hasn't been two weeks yet since the operation, and he did have a seizure afterward. So maybe it's too soon to expect him to get his balance back and be up and walking by himself. I don't care how long it takes; I just want it to happen.

No comments:

Post a Comment