Monday, June 6, 2011

That's so cuuute!

    I hear the above a lot when telling people that my 90-year-old dad has a 90-year-old girlfriend. Said in exactly the same tone as when a couple of seven-year-olds are caught kissing. Listen: old people are people, too. (So are seven-year-olds, come to think of it.) Life expectancy may not be stretching that much but death expectancy is going down, so you might well be a 90-year-old yourself someday. You'll probably want to maintain some kind of romance in your life. It's about all that's keeping my dad alive, which might explain my hypersensitivity.
    I don't think people mean to be demeaning. I think they're trying to say something very positive, and it's such an unusual situation that they're caught flat-footed. Here's a tip: "That's so great!" sounds a lot nicer and a lot less condescending than "That's so cuuute!"

No comments:

Post a Comment