Sunday, March 13, 2011

Beetroot non-halwa

    Some months ago Paul and I went to the buffet at Delhi Palace and tried a dessert called beetroot halwa. It was crazy mad delicious, but seemed a bit dairy-heavy. As dairy is one of the things I don't eat I looked it up and indeed the recipe featured dairy left and right. So I started scheming...
    What I came up with has very little in common with beetroot halwa and is basically an excuse to eat more avocado, not that one is needed. There is open question whether it is crazy mad delicious, but if it isn't, you can always add more honey. The one thing that can't be questioned: you'll never feel better about life, the universe and everything than when after you've eaten this.
    I buy beets with the greens cut off. These can be hard to find; hell, beets with the greens not cut off can be hard to find. I find them at EarthFare, which of course helps you not at all if you aren't in a small portion of the Southeast. Try looking in any health food store, or a really large supermarket.
    I buy three beets, or four if they're conspicuously small, rinse them as well as possible and cut the roots off because I'm childish and they're hairy looking. I cut up the beets and then cut them up smaller using a food chopper. (A food processor would work just as well or better.) I put them in a pot, covering them with purified water and turn the heat to 5 or Medium.
    I bring it to a boil but leave the heat at 5, checking on it every 10 minutes. When the water is largely boiled away (say a half hour), I add a tablespoon of vanilla. It would be more economical just to add a teaspoon or less after all the water has boiled away, but that way I can taste the alcohol. I am profligate as well as childish.
    When the water is gone, I set the beets aside to cool a bit and turn to the avocado. Hopefully it is a ripe avocado. I cut it open, remove the pit, scoop out the innards and throw them in the blender. I cover with purified water (sounds like a ritual, I know) and puree. Mix the avocado goop with the beets, add about a tablespoon of olive oil and maybe a smidge over a tablespoon of honey and voila! Whatever it is, there it is.
    I eat a couple-three tablespoons (more formally, blops) of this after breakfast as a kind of dessert. It adds markedly to my equilibrium all day.

2 comments:

  1. Beets, avocado, vanilla, olive oil, and honey. Why didn't I think of that? Drop a blop on me, Dude!

    ReplyDelete
  2. And I've got a fresh batch, too. I'm so charged!

    ReplyDelete