Monday, March 7, 2011

Updating: A Grab Bag

    I finally came up with an idea for what to do with potato-kale flatbread. What else? Pizza crust! Turned out, if not great, then at least on the good side of interesting. I cooked it as a crust for 20 minutes at 375. Then I put the tomato sauce and toppings on and cooked it for another 20. At the end, I let it cool for five minutes. The result was not very pizza-like; as Paul pointed out, it was somewhat more shepherd's pie-like. So now it's called shepherd's pizza. Or possibly Po-tay-to po-tah-to to-may-to to-mah-to/ Let's call the whole thing off. OK, maybe not.
    Regardless, cooking it without toppings at 400 rather than 375 might help and probably wouldn't hurt. I also greased the pizza pan somewhat half-heartedly with (extra virgin) olive oil, while mixing more (EV) olive oil with the potato, kale, salt and pepper as before. Didn't put it on aluminum foil, nor did  I flip it this time. It didn't stick down at all, though only one of four slices held together like an actual pizza slice. Apart from shepherd's pie, it reminded me of polenta pizza, which is also delightful, but messy.

    My other update isn't really an update; just a certain amount of angst about the fate of the lost dog. I sure hope the guy with the pickup truck was his owner and they found each other without incident. Or his family came back and found him quickly. Or he lived up the road at the nearest neighborhood, or had come with a fisherman to the somewhat nearer boat landing, and knew his way back. I'm more than a little afraid to go back now; though if I find a scareder, hungrier dog, maybe he'll be more amenable to getting in the car with me. I'll probably go today to see. I just hope he's OK.

    My other other update isn't one at all. For those who have tried and failed to leave comments, Blogger Help (not to be confused with the Will Smith vehicle, The Legend of Blogger Help) says that there's an anonymous option, whereby you can leave a comment without having to have a Google account. So maybe try that, and kick off by saying who you are. First name is sufficient if I know you well or mention your DU or Celiac.com handle if you're from one  of those sites. I should try to comment on my own blog just to find out how the system works, but that would just be too twee. I always preferred the Jack Benny approach anyway: Don't applaud; just throw money.

4 comments:

  1. Not finding an anonymous option-didn't find one yesterday. "Brain!" not what it once was, if it ever was what it was once, which it wasn't. Not only that, but there is no there there. Would love to try your wacky pizza-like device. Hope your 4 legged friend is fine, wherever he is. Keep up the good work, and I'll keep seeking anonymity!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! Four-legged friend wasn't there today; I'm sure he was with the contractor in the pickup truck and went home with him. And now I know: I get an email if someone comments. (Hopefully not when I do.:)) Also, you're right: no anonymous option. Can't trust Bagger Vance.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Unless blogger's changed since I used it last, there should be an anonymous option. However, you may need to enable it on your end.

    Ah. I'm looking at an old blogger blog of mine now. Signed in, go to "customize," then "settings," then "comments." There should be a button to enable anonymous comments on the "comments" page.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Zippy! Thanks! Done and done. I even fixed the time zone, which ought to clear up the Which Olympia? question a little. Go Anonymous!

    ReplyDelete