Monday, March 28, 2011

Gluten nightmares

    "Nightmares" is putting it strongly, but "Weird gluten dreams" doesn't have quite the same ring to it. Last night, I just fainted fully dressed, complete with sweater. I have no idea where all this exhaustion is coming from unless it's the pollen. They do call it good sleeping weather when it's cool and wet, so maybe that's it. Regardless, when I woke up in the night I had a kitty on my legs and decided to stay there.
    Eventually, around 4 I had a very queer dream with the usual temporal anomalies. In this one, I returned to my parents' house from a long time away. In the dream, my mom was still alive, but my parents were still out even though it was very late at night. (This never happened in real life.) I was worried because I couldn't get the lights on in the back yard so they could see their way in. And I was even more worried that I wouldn't be able to find gluten-free food in their house. (In real life, I didn't find out I was celiac until 5 years after my mom died.) Then I realized that I have my own apartment and didn't have to stay there, and was boundlessly relieved. (Only in the "safe from gluten" sense, I might add.)
    After I got up, shed some clothes, turned out the lights and went back to bed, I had another gluten dream. This time, I was at KFC and got a big plate of breaded chicken strips and was all set to eat them, then went uh-oh. I think that dreams about food that you can't eat are supposed to indicate frustration in your life. I wonder what that's all about?

3 comments:

  1. I spent 15 minutes crafting a finely tuned response and THIS FRIGGING COMPUTER twitched and bleeped and erased it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    AAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. In brief, sir, you are experiencing a quite normal event well known to us recovering addicts. The dreams allow the dreamer to again experience and enjoy the things now forbidden to him. At first there is horror leading to awakening as one thinks he is actually doing the verboten, but in time one learns strategies to actually avoid the pitfalls that brought him to ruin in the past-like the dream I had where 2 friends and I were in a car with a cop and they were all passing around a fat joint. I decided to pretend to be asleep so I could avoid participating. Pretending to be asleep in dream. Go figure.
    The point is, you (or at least your body) still have desires for the things you now eschew, and through dreams like these you work out these waves of desire harmlessly and they gradually ebb and subside over time until you will hardly ever have them (dreams or desires) any more, and when you do you will generally find them pleasurable, because after all, they are harmless.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Current research indicates that marijuana cures cancer, but it's illegal. Gluten causes cancer (in celiacs anyway), but is marketed as "Vital Wheat Gluten." Irony abounds.

    ReplyDelete