Sunday, March 20, 2011

Daytrip to Bull Island

    Paul, Ross and I decided to go down to Bull Island in Cape Romain National Wildlife Refuge near Charleston, SC. We had also decided to do this in December, but it was raining and as Ross is made of sugar, we weren't able to go through with it that time. This time, however, the weather was perfect. Our planning, not so much. For future reference, it's a good idea to call ahead for reservations. Also to bring sun block. Also lots and lots of water. As we failed to do any of these things, we could only stay for half the day. But it was still glorious.
    The boat leaves at 9, but you're supposed to be there by 8:30. Thus, we needed to leave Columbia by 6, an hour before dawn this time of the year. We did so with fairly good grace, and apart from sun block and binoculars didn't forget anything important. We were the first in the parking lot and the first on the dock, so when approximately a gazillion people turned up, we weren't too worried. But then it developed that half a gazillion of them had reservations, and then we did worry a bit. The man from Coastal Expeditions said that he could only take another 18 people, but that there would be another boat at 10. I said that we had driven from Columbia and that we were here first. Another passenger confirmed the latter and he let us on. On the way to the boat I said under my breath to Paul, "It's good to see that the Voice of God still works!"
    Had we had sun block and more water, we could have stayed until 3, but as we didn't we had to make it back by the first return boat at noon. Ross and I had hats but Paul didn't and he started getting very florid very fast. We made a quick breakfast at the picnic area, then hustled across the island to the beach. We crazy-mad loved the almost-completely deserted beach. Paul and Ross waded, though I am much too stick-in-the-butt for such activity.
    We walked up the beach to Boneyard Beach, a section towards the northeast end of the island featuring bleached, dead trees. It sounds dull and nasty, but is really spectacularly, insanely beautiful. We were awed, and I took pictures like a kid in a candy store, if I may mix the metaphor. Or simile at least. And then I had to run back to where I'd left the fellas so we could get back to the boat. We walked back, smartly but not hurrying unduly and made it no problem.
    On the ride back, we saw a couple of bottlenose dolphins and they swam along in our wake for a while, jumping in tandem. It was awesome in any sense of the word. (On the way out we had seen a mother dolphin and her baby, which was also very cool, but less dramatic.)
    We ate lunch at Seewee Restaurant just across US 17 from the road to the ferry landing. They had grave difficulties understanding what gluten is, or for that matter what wheat is, and brought me bread on top of my shrimp creole. I had to explain the concept of cross-contamination. The waiter apologized profusely for "our stupidity." I would have preferred it if he'd at least have comped my drink. But the shrimp creole was good. We'll see by morning if it had gluten in it.
    We went to Whole Foods for some rapid shopping. I got my gluten-free cookies and assorted frozen fruits and vegetables. (I had also brought an ice-box.) As they only had lilies in bouquets, I was able to put lilies on the graves of my Aunt Catherine, my Uncle Roy and my Cousin Ronnie as well as on Mom's. And then we went home.

No comments:

Post a Comment