Sunday, August 7, 2011

Fitness

    Fitness as a concept annoyed me when I was skinny the first time, still annoyed me when I got fat, and still annoys me now that I'm skinny again. The question is: fit for what? Are you going out to the savanna to MMA it up with some hyenas? Do you have to bring down the wooly mammoth alone and barehanded? I'm always running across people jogging out on the Riverwalk. They seldom look as healthy as me, and they seldom seem to have the first idea what they're doing. Few carry water, and most have very bad strides.
    I just spent a few weeks climbing up seven flights of stairs twice a day. I wasn't showing off (there was no one to see, after all); I needed to loosen up my leg tendons due to a flareup of back trouble. Point is that I could do it; I'm not sure that the joggers could. My sense is that if they just threw out their fluoride toothpaste and brushed with baking soda, their thyroids would start working normally. And maybe they would learn that they could keep their weight down just by walking, and leave the jogging for the horses.

2 comments:

  1. What irony. Coming back home from an afternoon playing Hurling and reading this post. It made me wonder whether our whole family having taken up this bone-crunching but thrilling sport in the last couple of years is because of our fluoride toothpaste...

    ReplyDelete
  2. You probably just want to be ready for the next bunch of wooly mammoths!

    ReplyDelete