Saturday, August 6, 2011

Lips and ships

    The other day (the Thurs one), a woman from Physical Therapy came by to take Dad for a walk. As usual, he was tired and would have just as happily skipped it, but he gave it a try. She walked him all the way out to the nearest TV lounge, a considerable distance, then back. He tired and she brought the wheelchair to get him the last of the trip back. She wanted to leave him in the wheelchair through suppertime. I explained that we were leaving shortly and that he had some difficulty getting the staff to come help him get back into bed.
    She came toward me shaking her head, so I sort of had the impression she might disagree. She called the nurse or nurse's aide in and asked him to put Dad into bed after supper, mentioning that the family thought that he had had trouble getting them to help him into bed. This was none of my intention. I didn't mention it so that she could immediately repeat it to the staff, making me look like the bad guy and endangering Dad's future care. I think in future I'll just quit talking. Or ask first, "Before I say anything: are you a complete idiot?"

No comments:

Post a Comment