Monday, August 8, 2011

The thing with feathers

    Dad seems to be about out of hope. Yesterday, he spilled milk in his bed and dropped cake crumbs all over the sheets, and just didn't care. Last week, dialysis started picking him up early, which should be a good thing. But previously, he had been available for physical or occupational therapy on the mornings of dialysis days (Mon., Wed., Fri.) and the early pickups took him away from this.
    Today I called the dialysis facility to find out what's up. They said that if a patient is in the hospital, they bump the other patients up. I asked them please not to do that with Dad since he desperately needs his physical therapy, and they agreed. So I called Dad and told him. Rather than being thrilled, happy or even satisfied, he just said he would just as well do without the physical therapy. Which makes me sad and worried. I tried to buck him up a bit, and maybe I did.
    I also called the physical therapists and let them know he'd again be available MWF mornings. I also asked them if they could work on getting him out of the diapers when he's in bed since a) he doesn't need them except sometimes when he's standing up and b) he has increasing pain on his butt that might come from wearing the diapers. They at least noted my concern.

No comments:

Post a Comment