Thursday, July 7, 2011

Another one-day roller coaster

    Yesterday, before I got there, Dad kicked off his day with physical therapy (with diaper). And he took some steps. So that was a great start. Also, Margaret had her hernia procedure, which indeed proved to be straightforward, quick and didn't even require general anesthesia. And as expected, the dermatologist told me I'm a hypochondriac, which was more than OK with me. (He didn't really, but the mole was nothing to worry about.)
    Unfortunately, when I got back from my dinner, Dad had his in front of him, but was asleep. When he woke up he was almost incoherent, but eventually conveyed that he was in trouble from diabetes. The nurses came and checked his blood sugar and it was very low. They gave him dextrose, two cups of orange juice, and kept him eating, and eventually it came up. But it was very worrying. The dietitian had ordered that his portions be doubled, but the person responsible for ordering his meals has now twice quit doing this after a day or so. This morning I called the nurse and the dietitian and am reasonably satisfied that they have got this fixed. He's still at dialysis, so I haven't been able to go see yet, but hopefully we have it squared away.
    I also heard from the social worker this morning. It was a different one, and it was like I'd never heard from the first one at all. So we started all over. She did make clear that they're just finding a place for him when he's ready to go; they aren't necessarily kicking him out immediately.

No comments:

Post a Comment