Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Nursing homes

    I remember the good old days, when my life was boring and carefree. Say, yesterday. The social worker told me which nursing homes accepted Dad. Neither is very good. Not happy. More anon.

Anon:
    I visited the two nursing homes that have accepted him, one solo and one with William. I wasn't impressed with either. Neither was a snakepit, but neither was very uh, faith-inducing. Neither staff struck me as particularly crackerjack. We have personal experiences with each at one remove. Malcolm's high school friend Raymond's mother-in-law stayed at one recently and had a very good experience; that is much the lower-rated one, though. Margaret's daughter Linda's husband stayed at the other and had a horrible experience. She said she had friends whose mothers had stayed there and had good experiences, though. I'm going to keep trying to get him in a better place, ideally one with a very short drive to a dialysis facility. In this weather, I don't want him spending an hour in an ambulance 3 times a week.
    The reason for all this, the social worker said, is "We think he's ready." When I talk to her again, I'm going to point out that they thought he was ready before and that was when he had the heart attack. And maybe he could continue his rehab at Baptist, where the critical care facilities are better than at any nursing home. Please?

No comments:

Post a Comment