Saturday, August 24, 2013

Bobby Sherman

    American Top 40's 1970s rebroadcast sent me straight down the time warp, playing "Julie Do You Love Me" by Bobby Sherman. I'm not sure I'm admitting at this time that I had the single back in '71 or so until my little friends explained that this wasn't cool and I gave it to Cindy around the block. I wish I could say that my little friends were wrong, but upon relistening I find that that cat really couldn't sing. It's a great, great record still, but almost totally in spite of the haircut at the microphone. I kind of wish I hadn't heard it so I could keep my illusions.
    Regardless, he was a legitimate phenomenon. I remember that the girl I had a crush on in 4th grade, whose name was Kimberly (isn't it always?), did a twirling routine to "In Seattle." Forty-odd years on, here I am still remembering. (I'm going to go ahead and keep believing that that was a good song if it's all the same to you.:))
    Anyway, the power of Bobby is still manifest. He's so awesome that he blew out the tubes or something at AT40. When I got back in the car after my walk this morning, the '70s had suddenly ended and AT40 from the '80s, which usually runs Sunday evenings, had taken its place. Quite a jump from Junior Walker and the All Stars (the record which had come on after Bobby and thus could legitimately be construed as the guilty party in the tubes-blowing) to "Hot in the City" by Billy Idol. Not that he has any connection to haircuts who can't sing.

No comments:

Post a Comment