Thursday, August 29, 2013

What it was was football

    The college football season starts this evening. I have the usual mixed feelings. Although I'm excited about the resumption of play, I also live a few blocks from the stadium, so I have to plan my life around the fact that for game time plus several hours before and after, I can forget about being able to leave home except for on foot. Complicating the situation this year is that summer has finally arrived just in time for autumn. High today will be 93 or 95, depending whom you believe, so leaving on foot is not indicated. Also, Downtown U.'s football team is much ballyhooed, leading to great fear of disappointment. Still, hope springs eternal, so let's get going!
    Also also a buddy who moved away to New York state years ago is coming into town for the game. Obviously, the same traffic tangles that prevent me from leaving home this afternoon might also prevent him and his wife from dropping around this evening. However, we've set up to meet for breakfast tomorrow, so it doesn't matter particularly if we get together tonight. I offered them parking at my place. Hopefully I can fulfill this promise. Sometimes, friends of neighbors (or they might be total strangers) park up the whole street. In this weather, though, I bet people will be more willing to pay for closer parking rather than park for free on the street blocks away.
    The subject line comes from Andy Griffith's breakthrough standup routine; if you haven't heard it, you should probably try to track it down on YouTube.

No comments:

Post a Comment