Monday, August 12, 2013

Signs signs

    I don't know about where you live, but around here there seem to be a great many sign ordinances governing businesses. Old signs are grandfathered, but new ones are stumpy and comparatively inconspicuous. A lot of businesses get around this pretty easily. They park a large truck or trailer perpendicular to the passing road with their advertising message written on it. I guess they get around the laws because it isn't a fixed sign, or maybe nobody cares that much.
    It just makes no sense to me. If you want to have a sign ordinance, presumably the intent is some degree of urban beautification. Trucks and trailers as a rule aren't conspicuously beautiful objects even compared to most large business signs. I don't have any particular brief for sign ordinances; in my travels, I mainly have noticed them coming into force in areas either with a lot of rich residents, a lot of rich visitors, or with delusions of attracting one, the other or both. I don't much notice that the little stumpy signs are noticeably more beautiful than the larger ones.
    However, if you're going to have a sign ordinance, you should have an all-encompassing one. Getting rid of big signs and allowing them to be replaced with big trucks with advertising messages on them is just crazy. Isn't it?

No comments:

Post a Comment