Thursday, August 1, 2013

Fixed my pizza-free pizza crust!

This is an edit of an earlier post where the crust was almost but not quite good. I fixed it, I think.

    This probably will only be of interest to folks who are gluten-free, but I really like it. It's my latest effort to make pizza crust from potatoes. This time around, I shelled out for Bob's Red Mill potato flour, which is both expensive and hard to find. I found it in a Publix rather than in health food stores, but it's certainly the kind of item you could get a health food store to order if they don't have it in stock.
    First time around, I used twice as much potato flour as brown rice flour. The only problem with that approach was that once the crust cooled down, it started tasting a bit like mealy potatoes, which I guess is reasonable since it's made from potato meal.
    It turned out that switching the brown rice and potato flour quantities was all that was needed. So yay!
    Anyway, here's the recipe:
Edit: HERE'S the recipe (after I changed it around):
Pizza crust
Preheat 400
1 cup brown rice flour
1/2 cup potato flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
a shake each of dried oregano and dried basil
1/2 cup of almond milk
1/2 cup of water
1 egg
1T EVOO
Put EVOO on crust (or hands) while spreading dough out.
Bake 15 minutes with no stuff on. Put stuff on. Probably smart to spread EVOO on exposed crust. Another 20 minutes. Let cool 5 minutes.
    Best is to cut it up and then put the whole pizza back in the cooling oven while you eat each piece. Reheating at 350 for 20 minutes works well, and putting it back in the oven while eating still works.

No comments:

Post a Comment