Monday, August 5, 2013

Brakes broke

    Sorry; not much more to say than that. The brakes on the Camry have been increasingly noisy and decreasingly stoppy for weeks. Last week, the noisiness started getting actively annoying. Yesterday, the intermittent stoppiness got actively scary. I couldn't get the car to stop without stomping all the way down, and then it STOPPED. I would have a certain difficulty moving again, which was also nerve-wracking. So the car is in the shop. Mechanic thinks he can get it done today, which would make for a very short story.
    If it develops into a multi-day problem, that could actually turn into good news, as I might then rent a fun car in the interim as a sort of semi test drive. (Not the same as test-driving a semi, by the way.) It's even possible that I could rent a Scion XB, though only one Toyota dealership does rentals and I don't suspect they'll make XBs (which are very popular) available. But I'll find out if need be. In which case, this entry might become much more interesting upon editing!

Edit: Ouch! No sexy car rental, because the work should be done today. It's pretty serious, though, as in replacing the pads, rotors and one cylinder (mechanic said piston), and $650. So ouch. Sexy car rental may happen later, though.

2 comments:

  1. Dude! Next time get a Haynes manual. My 14 year old can do a brake job, and the parts are about $40.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can just about handle replacing headlights. Maybe I'll ask for lessons from my friend-who's-a-girl who works on cars.

      Delete