Thursday, September 22, 2011

Dad's ambition

    Dad's ambition is a simple one: to walk again without the walker. He shared it with the physical therapist; I don't think he told me how she reacted or if she were in any way encouraging. But he certainly is improving. Most things don't seem dramatic. He can take off or put on his own shoes, which he couldn't a mere week ago. He stood up for us without the walker last Saturday (I think). He still has difficulty standing up from the bed. Of course, it helps if he raises the bed up first. It worries me that he can't figure this out himself, but then, he doesn't have much experience with adjustable beds, nor has he ever had any particular trouble getting out of bed before. I like to think that he'll figure it out.
    I went up to Charlotte yesterday to see my old high school debate partner Russ Henderson and to eat Ethiopian at Meskerem Restaurant. It was a good time and good to get out of town and good to have enough faith in Dad's health to be able to go. (And terrific to see Russ, who licked cancer and is doing very well.) I offered to take over the hosting job at DL from Amy, but she has better sense than that.

No comments:

Post a Comment