Saturday, September 17, 2011

Overplayed

    I heard an old old song ("Whatcha See Is Whatcha Get" by The Dramatics) and was so delighted I posted the video on Facebook. And it's odd, because it was a song that was played heavily on the radio way back then, and even more heavily by me when it was one of the first few singles I ever owned. Other songs from the same era didn't wear so well. "Mr. Big Stuff" by Jean Knight was overplayed then and I still can't listen to it now. It was another of my first 45s.
    Over the years, there were a lot of those overplayed numbers. Most didn't need any help from me; the radio did enough. "Lying Eyes" by the Eagles, and later their "Hotel California" are two that I am finally just about willing to listen to again. "The Sultans of Swing" is another. I think it's weird that the kings of overplayed, Fleetwood Mac, have so few of these numbers. Though they were played into the ground, their songs stay interesting. (OK, not "Don't Stop," but that's probably the Clintons' fault.) I guess Fleetwood and McVie must be the most underrated rhythm section ever.
    One good thing about the segmentation of the radio market (and MTV's decision to quit showing videos) is that songs are a lot less likely to be overplayed these days. Assuming you don't go to minor league baseball games (no longer an option around here).

No comments:

Post a Comment