Thursday, September 15, 2011

What I eat

    Somebody asked me what I eat on the gluten-free casein-free soy-free diet and I never got a chance to answer fully. Though it's unlikely she's looking, here's an answer: beef stew with small red beans; chicken and chick peas over brown rice; pasta fazoo (OK, pasta e fagioli) featuring chicken, Great Northern beans & brown rice pasta; turkey chili with quinoa; pizza-free pizza (Chebe bread pizza crust mix, with coconut milk substituted for milk, and with tomato sauce, kale, black beans, GF chicken sausage and Daiya casein-free cheese substitute on top); beef fajitas with soft-corn tortillas; Spanish omelet; boneless pork chops, black beans and tomatoes over brown rice. (That's kind of a lot, isn't it?)
    All the stewy items above have a lot of vegetables in them. I tend to put a lot of yellow squash and okra in everything. Lately, I'm putting in as much kale as I can possibly stand, to try to get my calcium levels higher. The non-stewy items tend to get steamed vegetables on the side. Oh, and on fish days (Monday & Thursday), I usually have cod or haddock with potatoes and kale or broccoli or some combination at lunchtime. But if Aldi has frozen corn on the cob (the best!) I'll make lowcountry shrimp boil for supper on a Monday and make Paul's day better.
    Breakfast is accidentally vegetarian: Green bean frittata over lettuce and soft-corn tortillas with either teff or amaranth porridge. I add cinnamon to both cereals, and chopped pecans to the teff. For my breakfast drink, I throw half a banana and a navel orange in the blender with distilled water to cover and push go. For my lunch drink, it's a quarter of an avocado, a quarter of a cucumber (seeded) with either frozen pineapple or Aldi fiesta blend (strawberries, papaya, mango, pineapple), blended. At supper, I just drink distilled water.
    Oh, I take kelp tablets for iodine with breakfast on non-fish days, and half an old-guy multi-vitamin on fish days. Could just as easily take those daily but I don't want to risk overdoing the iodine.
    On the whole, a fun and healthy lifestyle without gluten, casein or soy. Now if I could only kick the heroin...

No comments:

Post a Comment