Tuesday, September 20, 2011

"We ain't sellin' nothin'"

    Yesterday afternoon, as I was reading and listening to tunes, somebody knocked on the door. A short fellow was there, spokesman of a duo. Calling me "boss," he said they were in the neighborhood helping people and they wanted to help me. He suggested I come out and see what they had done with my car. I suppressed the urge to tell him I was calling the police right now and just said, "Thanks. 'Bye." Before I had quite closed the door, he said, "We ain't sellin' nothin'."
    I couldn't and can't figure it out. If you're not sellin' nothin', why are you here? Calling a random stranger "boss" is fairly unusual around here, as is showing up claiming that you're helping people. I thought they might be Irish Travel(l)ers, and rather wish I had called the sheriff. A look at the car this morning didn't reveal anything in particular that they could have done to help, though it's so filthy they might have cleaned some area that I'm just not noticing. (Also wish I'd answered "We ain't sellin' nothin'" with "Too right you're not.")

No comments:

Post a Comment