Monday, September 12, 2011

Eggs

    Publix has a certain difficulty with shipping and otherwise transporting (i.e., within the stores) eggs. Almost every dozen eggs has at least one cracked one. Having learned this many times in the past, I always open the carton (more often cartons) and check closely before picking one. The other day, I had to go through two or three before I found one with no cracked eggs. I leave them open so that (one hopes) staff will throw out the cracked ones and rearrange the cartons with only uncracked eggs.
    The other day I did this, and a young woman was checking for the same thing. She, however, reclosed the cartons where she found cracked eggs and put them back. Question: who was being thoughtless? She was being thoughtful to the degree that she left her surroundings neat, but leaving the cartons with broken eggs hidden means that either somebody else has to duplicate her effort or somebody will get home with cracked eggs and will be peeved with Publix. I'm being thoughtless to the degree that I leave the surroundings in disarray, but the situation is easy to fix and will benefit both Publix and the customers for an employee to do so. Who's being thoughtless? Publix. They should have somebody checking the eggs when they're delivered and displayed. (That was easy.)
    I was almost tickled to have a borderline nightmare the next night or so to the effect that I had in fact brought home Publix eggs and one was in fact cracked. The horror! Also, oddly enough, one of my rare vivid dreams. I guess my mind's eye can manage pink cartons and white ovals.

No comments:

Post a Comment