Sunday, January 22, 2012

Dad is ready to move out

    Dad asked Margaret yesterday if she was ready for a serious talk. She said yes, so he got out his list. He had made a lengthy list of things he wanted to talk about. The overarching point was that he felt he had gotten as rehabbed as he was going to get and he's ready to come home with her. It was interesting that he shared all this stuff with her, even things she couldn't do much about compared to me. Could be construed as an implied criticism of me, but I'm taking it to mean that he just made his list and ticked off every item even though some didn't really apply.
    I can't possibly express how thrilled I am that he's so much better that he's considering this step. Still, neither he nor she is really competent to drive, and both insist that they're going to do so anyway. I'm hoping somehow still to dissuade them. I think all their children would prefer it if they would both move into Rice Home or another nursing home. They would be so much safer. But of course it's easy to understand a desire for independence. Anyway, we'll see how things turn out. I talked to Gail the social worker on Friday and the nursing home would like a meeting to plan Dad's future, too. So maybe we can come up with a wise approach and a happy ending. Regardless, things are turning out a lot better than they looked like they would six or eight months ago. Yay!

No comments:

Post a Comment