Monday, January 16, 2012

Doxiadis

    When I was a small child back in the '60s, this town (Columbia SC, or Soda City) paid a city planner named Doxiadis for a plan for how future growth would be managed. From that point through most or all of the '70s, there would be periodic discussion in the press about the Doxiadis Plan and how it was coming along or how it wasn't.
    Such discussions never quite got around to including much in the way of specifics. I always sort of pictured the Doxiadis Plan as something out of The Jetsons, with flying cars and moving sidewalks. A Krispy Kreme on every corner for local color. Maybe a bit of casual nudity to bring the tourists in. (If that word brings in Googleites, you have my apologies. Yes, it does stay this dull.)
    I never quite found out what the Doxiadis Plan was really. Eventually interest in it petered out as did mentions in the press. If any plan has ever been applied to our growth, it was a bad one. I have the impression though that whatever the Doxiadis Plan was, there was never any serious attempt to implement it. Just as well; I can't have Krispy Kreme anymore anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment