Friday, January 13, 2012

Old time radio and spelling

    One problem with being a fan of old-time radio is that when you want to share a new (60-year-old) discovery, sometimes it can be a little tricky. One of my favorite shows was a WWII broadcast called "Jubilee." The show is problematical in that it was broadcast only to the black troops in a segregated military. But the result was brilliantly entertaining.
    Unfortunately, some of the numbers have beboppy titles that are hard to guess a spelling on. One of the more fun numbers was by the Charlie Barnet Orchestra, sung by trumpeter Peanuts Holland. I eventually found this specific "Jubilee" program on a record. They spelled the song title "Obble ee eebop." That's probably right, but I can't find the number on the Internets these days. The weird thing is that it sounds like a monster hit, like something I've been hearing all my life. Maybe they put it in a cartoon or something.
    On the other hand, it's one of the most nefariously catchy numbers of all time. If I did succeed in sharing it, I'd probably get murderated by somebody not liking earworms. So there's always a silver lining.

No comments:

Post a Comment