Sunday, January 29, 2012

The need for escape

    Not to harp on the dreaming mind exclusively, but I do notice that sometimes when things are bad I get nightmares but sometimes I get instead particularly delightful dreams. (Probably not what you're thinking, however.) Last night I had what should have been an anxiety dream (going back to college) but instead it was a hoot. For some reason, I was going back to college in Vermont. Or somebody was. Like the subtitles incident, I was sort of in the dream and sort of watching it. Sometimes both at the same time. Go figure.
    The delightful part was driving up to what should have been dormitories and finding instead little Airstream trailers. Or rather, the delightful part was going into the Airstream trailer and finding a multi-story house in there. Obviously, I'm reading too much Harry Potter. I was, yet again, tickled in my sleep, and the mood lift carried over into the morning. I think your brain knows when you've had too much, when you need a vacation, and when you can't possibly have one, it gives you one anyway. Or maybe my subconscious just ran out of nightmares. Anyway, I was grateful.
    Earlier I had a dream where for some reason I was laying out all my possessions in front of a gas station. The peculiar thing about dreams is that nothing is peculiar in dreams. I guess this could also have been an anxiety nightmare, but everything was totally relaxed. I even checked their mail to see if there was anything for me.
    Meanwhile, more or less in real life, Dad and I watched "2001: A Space Odyssey" on TCM. It didn't make a lot more sense to me than when I was 6. But it shore was purty. Unfortunately, all the beepy noises brought a nurse's aide running. Soooo not the ideal movie to watch in a nursing home!

2 comments:

  1. I hope you replied "Something wonderful" if the aide asked you what happened.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whoosh! Straight over my head! Google helped, though.

    ReplyDelete