Sunday, January 1, 2012

Real type of thing

    George Clinton's show on Main St. last night was fairly awesome, brilliant and colossal. It was a hoot hearing it with a few tens of thousands of my closest friends as well. If there has ever been a crowd that large on Main St. in Columbia I can't imagine when it would have been. The parade used to get a fair turnout, and Veron Melonas' Main St. Jazz brought a good number in every year for a while as well. This was more like Simon & Garfunkel's Concert at Central Park on a small scale. There might have been 100,000 there last night at some point.
    George didn't let us down. He pretty much stuck to the hits, unless "Maggot Brain" wasn't a hit. Phenomenal guitar solo, though. He played a short set from a little before 11 until a few minutes before midnight. Then there was a countdown and phenomenal fireworks (behind the building I was next to, but still). Then George did a second set. I promised myself to stay until "One Nation Under A Groove"; he did it second, after "Maggot Brain." I'd been on my feet for four hours, so I bailed. But an awesome time was had by all.
    Meanwhile, the weather is so gorgeous as to be unbelievable. Most beautiful year ever, so far. If this be armageddon, make the most of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment