Sunday, December 2, 2012

Adventures

    This past Friday, me and Pop went out on adventures. It was none of our intention. He just wanted to get some home medical equipment. However, he's been out of circulation for a while and the world has changed a bit. I took him to Long's Drugs on Kilbourne Road where he used to get his supplies. Unfortunately, Long's Drugs no longer has salespeople for home medical equipment in their individual stores. Instead, they've centralized the operation out by the Interstate. The very nice young man gave us the phone number and address. I knew the general vicinity and called out a landmark that I thought would get me there and he said I was right.
    We went back to Margaret's house to try calling, since I have no common sense and completely forgot that there was a cell phone in my pocket. Unfortunately (that word comes up a lot in this story), the phone number he gave us didn't work, so we went out to try our luck in person. I went to the place where the landmark we agreed on was. There was a home medical supplies company there but it wasn't Long's Drugs. (On retrospect, I think the young man and I were both somewhat familiar with the area but not up-to-date. I believe Long's Drugs used to be in the complex, which originally had been home to a Circuit City. The landmark in question was If It's Paper, which is also gone. Tempus fugit.) The lady at Not Long's Drugs was reasonably friendly and helpful, but didn't actually have what Dad needed. However, she did send us on to Actual Long's Drugs, though like me she had a certain difficulty with left and right.
    When I sorted the directions out, I found Long's Drugs no problem. They DID have what Dad needed, but had to check if Medicare would pay for it and if they had it in stock. Somehow, this wound up taking over a half hour. Finally they came back with the only thing on Dad's list that they had in stock. Unfortunately (see?), it wasn't actually on his list. So the trip was a washout in the short term, though they will ship him his stuff by Tuesday. Also he got a business card with their correct phone numbers on it, and they have his current address and phone number. So everybody's caught up and we win. Yay!

2 comments:

  1. I go to the Longs on Millwood. You are a good son John, and very patient.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was fun. Besides, it's not like it was he who was trying my patience.

      Delete