Wednesday, December 5, 2012

FoxFi

    This is mainly a writing exercise to see if I can work through the syntax on explaining something I don't understand well. Sister Anne and brother Mal told me about an Android app called FoxFi. This would give me a WiFi hotspot for free, as against the app that's preloaded on the Droid (First challenge: how to capitalize Android and Droid) which gives you a hotspot but charges through the nose for it.
    This app is free-- sort of. After a while, it goes Boop and when you look at the phone it tells you that your usage limit has been reached and your hotspot has been turned off. The length of "a while" varies greatly, however. The first session was crazy long and I was able to update all the antimalware software on the computer. When I heard Boop and saw what it meant, I thought my usage limit was over forever. But just for a hoot, I tried again the next day, and it worked fine. Boop came much quicker, though. Generally, Boop comes after about 2M have been transferred, but yesterday I had a session that went more than 17M. Moreover, you don't have to wait; you just have to reconnect, which is only a very slight annoyance. Only hardship is that really big downloads aren't possible unless you start and stop many times, and that usually messes up the file that you're transferring. As mine usually involve computer security, that's a pretty big shortfall.
    The paid version is only $7, a trifle. I'm still slightly annoyed about the bait and switch aspect; if they had said in advance that it was a trial version with a usage limit, I'd have had no problem, but they didn't. However, reviews indicate that the paid version is very good and well worth the price, so no doubt I'll stop being annoyed and come across shortly. This would also make switching over to the new notebook a lot quicker and safer. OK, gotta run; Boop is coming!

No comments:

Post a Comment