Friday, December 21, 2012

Surprise!

    Well all right; it's probably only a surprise to me. (I always say that, don't I?) But in my continuing effort to put cocoa in everything, I added it to my breakfast drink. This is a small navel orange and half a banana with water thrown in a blender. I mentioned the other day that cocoa added to my lunch drink (avocado-cucumber-fruit smoothie) made it sublime, or sublimer, or something. But adding it to the orange-banana drink did practically nothing at all.
    Back when I lived without dietary restrictions, I was a huge fan of dark chocolate oranges. So there shouldn't have been any flavor incompatibility. I can only guess that there isn't enough fat to bring out the cocoa flavor. That's one thing avocados have over oranges. The cocoa itself has fat. According to the nutritional information, 10% of cocoa by weight is fat. But I guess it needs more. At least it didn't taste bad or anything; it just barely changed the taste at all.
    I would have expected that neither drink was sweet enough to permit mixing with unsweetened cocoa, but of the two I would have thought that orange-banana would have been sweeter and thus more compatible. So I am in fact surprised. Still awfully thrilled that the avocado thing works, though.
    Yeah yeah yeah, not earth-shattering. I'll let the Mayan Apocalypse take care of that.

No comments:

Post a Comment