Saturday, December 8, 2012

Comforter

    I noted last year, or maybe this one, that when it gets colder I'm much happier if I throw the old comforter on the bed. (Hence the name perhaps.) The two bedspreads are adequate and the kitty camped out on my knees adds a lot of warmth and comfort. But the comforter gets an otherwise dank room all the way up to, well, comfortable. Moreover, the warmth carries over all day. When I'm cold at night, I feel chilly all day long. When I'm warm at night, I feel much less like running to knit cap and gloves at all hours.
    Of course, the way this cold season's going, it may never come up again. We're back to Chamber of Commerce weather, sunny with highs in the 70s. Much as I fear the long-term consequences of global warming, I must admit that as a reptile I'm enjoying some of the short-term ones. If it wants to be another pleasant, mild winter, I think I can live with it.
    The comforter was a gift from Alice long ago and as such is tangible proof that somebody once loved me. That's a comfort, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment