Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Herzog Herzog Herzog Herzog...

    I'm a little distracted because my car has boiled over and I don't know how I'm going to get the radiator repaired or replaced AND pick up my dad from dialysis AND make it to Drinking Liberally AND make it to jazz. Hopefully, adding water will be sufficient to postpone the crisis until tomorrow. (Knock on wood.)
    So this is really more like a Facebook status update than a blog entry. Thing is, the only person who might be remotely interested isn't on Facebook and does sometimes read my blog. So there ya go. Last week, I was on my way to Margaret's to pick up my dad for dialysis. When I went under the trestle at Rosewood Drive, there was a freight train pulling only cars labeled Herzog. "Herzog Herzog Herzog Herzog..." the train read. It looked fairly silly. I thought, somewhere out there, there's a huge Saul Bellow fan. (My buddy Paul suggested that the film director Werner Herzog would also probably dig it.)
    On the way home, I encountered the same train (or another one EXACTLY like it) on a different set of tracks. "Herzog Herzog Herzog Herzog..." I sensed a theme developing. But I haven't seen the Herzogs since.
    Googling indicates that they're called ballast cars. Also that there are YouTube videos of them out there. Somebody tell Werner Herzog.

No comments:

Post a Comment