Wednesday, December 19, 2012

See, it's like this

    Latest attempt at faking thin mint girl scout cookies goes as follows: Preheat oven to 400. Line a cookie sheet or something similar (I use a pizza pan) with parchment paper. Mix 2 T of EV olive oil, 4 T of honey, one large egg, 1 T of baking (unsweetened) cocoa, 1/2 tsp of peppermint extract, 1 cup of brown rice flour, 1/4 cup of chopped almonds and 1/4 cup of Enjoy Life (dairy-, nut- and soy-free) semi-sweet chocolate mini-chips. (The latter is found in health food stores, as is the brown rice flour.)
    I'll admit it; essentially, I've invented icing again. The stuff is so thick that it's fairly tricky getting the dough from mixing bowl to pan. Between a spatula and a fork, I eventually get the deed done. Somebody possessing eye-hand co-ordination will probably find it much easier. Or if you prefer, you could just spatula the whole thing into one gigantic cookie and cut it up later. Oughtta work, though I haven't tried it.
    Bake for 10 minutes. After 10 minutes, the cookies seemed quite done, but with a raw egg in there I'm always a little nervous. (I ate a few at this point and I haven't died yet, so I'm reasonably confident that you can stop at this point if you like). I turned the oven off and let it and them cool for 5 minutes. Then I flipped the cookies and put them in the cooling oven for another 5 minutes. One person found the resulting cookies to be too dry; if you skip this step, maybe they would be moister. Or I/you could add a little almond milk. But personally, I love them just the way they are, you know, like Billy Joel. So I present the recipe as I did it. And there you have it: gluten-free casein-free soy-free girl scout cookies-- sort of. (I'm just trying for the flavor; there's no similarity in look or texture.) Hope you like them!

No comments:

Post a Comment