Monday, December 17, 2012

Grammar

    I always wondered why I learned a lot more about grammar rules in French class than in English. I especially learned about verb tenses and moods (verbs have moods?) there and hardly at all in English. I think I've had an insight. In your native tongue, the teacher can give you examples of various tenses by pointing them out in sentences you have (or might have) said before. "I walked down the street" or "I have seen the newspaper." In a foreign language, you're totally at sea. Thus, the teacher has to explain what the various tenses and other forms actually mean, rather than just giving examples and then teaching by rote.
    Of course, it's always possible that my English teachers tried and tried to teach me all the rules and they just sailed over my head. However, I clearly remember when other subjects proved to be too hard for me; I don't see why English would be an exception. Still, it is true that at least back when I was in school, we started English much younger than we started foreign languages. It could be that my more grownup brain was better ready to handle difficult grammar concepts by the time I got to French. All I really remember from French is "Je ne sais pas," and at last it fits.

No comments:

Post a Comment