Saturday, December 17, 2011

Anyway, at least I was right

    I buy my shoes from a discount joint called GB Shoe Warehouse. The last time I was there, I measured my feet and found out why my shoes never fit. My feet are conspicuously narrow. The store has a huge selection of regular width shoes and possibly even a better selection of wide ones, but no narrow widths at all. I also noticed a sign that said if you can't find your size, just ask a salesperson.
    That day I didn't feel like it. The other day I did. It was quite a wait to find a salesperson to ask. I caught his eye and he asked if I was finding everything OK. I said no. Eventually he came over. I explained the situation and he said that the only narrow sizes they could special-order was Florsheim. We went over to check the Florsheims and he meanwhile double-checked. About the time I found a Florsheim I could live with, he came back to tell me they couldn't special-order those either.
    He was conspicuously skinny, much more than I am, so I asked him what he did for shoes. He said that was what he liked about working there; he could just keep searching until he found something that fit. Also something about wearing two sets of socks. So I thanked him, then pointed out that at least I was right about not being able to find anything. He laughed a bit.

No comments:

Post a Comment