Tuesday, December 20, 2011

The quiet Beatle

    It's almost a truism of music fandom of the last 40 years that Yoko Ono broke up the Beatles. However, one can't help but notice that George Harrison played on "How Do You Sleep?," John Lennon's savage denunciation of Paul McCartney from "Imagine." In many ways, his guitar solo (my memory and ear says it was a dobro, but the Internets are refusing to back me up) is more blistering than Lennon's lyrics. The lyrics are mainly wistful and regretful except for that whole "The sound you make is Muzak to my ears/ You must have learned something in all those years" thing.
    So it probably wouldn't be unfair to infer that it was actually Paul (or if you're really that misogynist, Linda) who broke up the Beatles. If I recall correctly, Ringo played on the LP "Imagine," too, though not on that track. I think he said all he needed to say in "Early 1970," helpfully posted on YouTube at least as of a year or so ago: "When I go to town, I want to see all three." Forty years on, I still bawl.

No comments:

Post a Comment