Sunday, February 17, 2013

Alligator!

    I was strolling the loop trail at Congaree Creek Heritage Preserve when I encountered a young family at a very narrow place. Mom, Dad, three tiny little girls. I have no idea how the girls were getting around on this fairly tough trail, but I guess they were small enough to carry. Regardless, the reason they were stopped turned out to be that Dad was showing them an alligator sunning himself about 50 feet away. He was nice enough to show me to, though to be quite honest I couldn't really pick it out. (Only the tail was visible, he indicated.) Still, it was a much more exciting hike than I usually have. (As it was only 45 degrees or so, we weren't exactly in a lot of danger, though.)
    Today is also my dad's 92d birthday. Siblings Anne and Malcolm, Jr., and Anne's son James are down from Boston for the weekend to celebrate the day. We took Dad and Margaret out last night and are doing it again tonight, and Anne, James, William and I went out for brunch this afternoon. It's been a pleasant, fun weekend.

2 comments: