Friday, February 8, 2013

Leave

    When I moved into this apartment, the previous tenant left a welcome mat that just said, "Leave." I thought that that wasn't very nice and it certainly was not the message that I wanted to convey to visitors. However, it was a very nice welcome mat and it seemed silly just to throw it away, especially as I would then have to go and get another welcome mat. So I just turned it around. Now, it says "Leave" when you are in fact leaving, which doesn't seem so offensive to me. Also, it restores a little humor to what would be a very funny joke if it weren't so mean-sounding.
    Otherwise, I got nothin', apart from finding out again as I do every year about this time that Abraham Lincoln and Charles Darwin were born on the same day. You would think that that would be more widely known or more widely remembered. Then again, I forget it every year, so maybe everybody knows about it and forgets about it, too. Otherotherwise, just worrying about the blizzard to the north and enjoying the outstanding weather we're having and trying not to feel too guilty about it. Here's hoping that the weather forecasters are all wrong.

3 comments:

  1. I didn't know that about Lincoln and Darwin. Since Laura accuses me of knowing everything there is to know about Lincoln I can now prove to her I am a mere mortal.

    Speaking of Presidents, coincidences and ironies I did know that coincidentally Thomas Jefferson and John Adams both died on the same day. July 4th, ironically. 1826, double ironically.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, the Adams/Jefferson thing was always easy to remember, partly as you say because of the 50th anniversary aspect. I think we all knew about Lincoln and Darwin but get a mental block because of the February 9 v. 9 February dichotomy. Anyway, Google did.

      Delete
    2. That is, February 12 v. 12 February. Brain freeze.

      Delete