Sunday, February 10, 2013

My vast social skills

    As I mention now and again, I am the host for Columbia's Drinking Liberally group. Now and again, we get together especially to watch some major or minor political event on TV. The State of the Union address is one of those events, and it's coming up Tuesday. For some reason, it has been a traditional big get-together for DL, not only for us but for chapters across the country. Political junkie though I am and have always been, I have no idea why. I have never had any interest in the SOTU and still don't. I think this became a DL tradition during the Bush years and has just hung over even though we're no longer likely to get ripped and throw things at the TV (much).
    Anyway, TV-watching in a bar is problematical since normally the TVs are all tuned to sporting events with the sound off, and music is playing in the place at the same time. However, we have a former venue where we used to be able to cajole them into changing the TV for us sometimes. We went back there for Election Day and it went pretty well (at least compared to the presidential debates, at a different venue, which were fiascoes).
    So I went around there this afternoon to ask if we could have our meeting there Tuesday night, and what the odds were that we could hijack the TV. I couldn't see the waitresses we had had in November, or any waitresses. The bartender was there, but the room where we meet is a different room from the bar so I wasn't sure if he would know one way or another. Sooo I skedaddled. Social anxiety took over and I scampered. I will try to ask again either later this evening or tomorrow some time. I'm pretty sure it won't be a problem (unless they decide to celebrate Mardi Gras on the actual day, which would definitely be more fun anyway) but nor was it one of my finer moments.

No comments:

Post a Comment