Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Retro futurism

    Please tell me that it is not my imagination that Honda Civic hybrids look just like miniature versions of 1970s Citroens. I ask this because I googled such a self-evident point and found... bupkis. Citroen is very active in hybrid technology, apparently, and this pushed all hits about physical resemblances off the first few results pages. Or it's my imagination. Or the Internet is dominated by Americans and 1970s Citroens never caught on in the US. Or all of the above.
    What I was going to say before Google disabused me of any illusion that I know what things look like is how funny it is that a design that was thought to be futuristic 35 or so years ago is back again. Is the new design retro? Is it still futuristic? Is it unbeLIEVably successful plagiarism? Or is it all in fact my imagination? I don't know!!! But I think it's pretty cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment