Thursday, February 21, 2013

Where the deer and the alligators play

    This time, I definitely saw the alligator, and not just the tail. At Congaree Creek this afternoon, I should have known it would be a good wildlife-viewing day because before I even hit the loop trail (or if you prefer, before I'd gone 0.2 miles or so) a couple of white-tail deer crashed by. They appeared to be on the loop trail, which might have been an illusion, but then at that size, they probably appreciated the extra space between trees. They fled; I blame my singing. (Everybody's a critic.)
    When I got to the swampy section where the nice fellow with the young family showed me an alligator that I couldn't actually see the other day, I looked in the same place and there was an entire alligator. Basking, not bothering anybody. Maybe eight feet long and a little bulky-looking. Well-fed, I was hoping. As it wasn't yet 60 degrees, I was reasonably confident s/he would continue basking for some time yet. I thought of throwing him/her my jacket, as I was suddenly feeling considerably warmer, but I thought s/he might misinterpret the gesture. Regardless, there are definitely alligators in there, 'cause I saw one. Some day I'm going to remember to bring the camera on the days when I need it!

2 comments: