Saturday, November 19, 2011

Do not hump

    I really need to start carrying a camera with me at all times. I got stuck waiting for a freight train, a frequent problem in my neighborhood, though not one I was expecting on a football Saturday morning. I was behind a Checker Yellow cab on the rear of which was a plate reading "Taxi Interceptor." This caused and is causing me great mirth. I get that cars made by Ford to be police vehicles are Police Interceptors. I can even grasp that the same fleet vehicles might be sold as taxicabs. But it seems to me that Ford could manage another word. Taxi Catcher? Taxi Interceptor sounds like a really weird comic book hero.
    One of the flat cars on the freight train had "Do Not Hump" written on the side. It looked like it was painted on there officially, in other words that it wasn't put there by a really clever graffiti artist. But none of the other flat cars (there were many) had "Do Not Hump" written on them. Maybe humping is only a recent flat car phenomenon. Or maybe it's a Shaker railroad.
     Edit: apparently it's flatcar, and that isn't what these were anyway. A relatively flatcar. Also, something else odd yesterday, though I don't know if I needed a camera for it. The Valero station on State St., which used to be cheap, then was expensive, is now cheap again. And there is a sticker on the gas pump reading "Enriched with 10% ethanol." In the first place, every other station says "up to 10% ethanol." In the second, "enriched" is an odd choice of words; given gas mileage figures, "impoverished" would probably be more accurate.

No comments:

Post a Comment