Saturday, November 12, 2011

Mr. Bill Wells

    Bill Wells, owner, proprietor and genial host of Bill's Music Shop and Pickin' Parlor, an institution on Meeting St. in West Columbia lo these many decades, has died. He died Tuesday at the age of 84. His age was a surprise, as he looked a hale 60 or so. He had clearly been in declining health, though, as he had been using a walker/chair and oxygen in recent months, and had more recently turned the store over to his son Willie. He was a terrific human being and musician and gave a home to bluegrass and old-time music that brought joy to the Columbia area for ages.
    When Mom was still alive and somewhat alert, I wanted Dad to see Bill's, as he had always been a big Grand Ole Opry fan. He also exposed us to Arthur Smith and the Lewis Family on early morning TV from Augusta when we were little (or anyway when I was). So I borrowed brother Frank's video camera and was able to show my folks how great open stage at Bill's is, and also I think a bit of the jam session. On a subsequent birthday, I was encouraged to pick my entertainment, so we went out to barbecue and then to Bill's. So I got Dad there after all. Mom may have been in the nursing home by then, though; I don't truly remember.
    Last night, they had a special open stage and jam session to honor Bill's memory. The crowd was immense, and every bluegrass musician in three states apparently turned out as well. I had to leave early, as I had committed to go down the street to pay for the privilege of getting insulted by a geriatric punk rocker (which was more fun than it sounds like), but a great time was had by all. I wasn't there long enough to hear "Will the Circle Be Unbroken," but I know they did it and it was awesome. The family promises that the store and Friday night open stage will go on. Will it be unbroken indeed.

No comments:

Post a Comment