Saturday, November 26, 2011

This property is condemned

    There's this very cool building in my neighborhood. It looks like a fortress, painted white. It must have been in some commercial use at some time. I say this partly because the real estate sign very, very high on one wall says "For Lease" instead of "For Rent" and because the front door is recessed behind two iron gates with plate glass windows like the entrance to a small store.
    I wanted it for my world headquarters. It's-- well, I used "very cool" already, so I'll just say that it's a delightful surprise in an otherwise residential neighborhood. The fortress look appeals to my enchantment with irony. Unfortunately, there is a notice on both doors to the effect that the building has been deemed unsafe and will be knocked down if corrections are not made. Granted that the notice was about it being unsafe for housing and the building doesn't appear to be intended for housing, but one suspects that the authorities would call this hair-splitting.
    Mind you, there are window units in some of the windows, suggesting a lack of central air. In this climate, that would make for a fairly unpleasant world headquarters. Still, in a town with so few cool buildings, it would be a pity to lose one more. Where are the "Breakin'" kids when we need them?

No comments:

Post a Comment