Monday, November 28, 2011

Whatcha say

    "Whatcha say" is a lot more romantic sounding in "Heroes" by David Bowie than if you add a question mark and an exclamation mark. Dad has needed hearing aids for at least 40 years, probably my entire life, and he's never been particularly gracious about his lack of hearing. Rather than grasping that maybe his life would be better if he could hear better, he has always acted as if the rest of us are just mumbling. His recent tendency to answer everything with "Whatcha SAY?!", even to Margaret, is more than a little wearing. It isn't even as fun to hear as the Nazi in "Casablanca": "Vot did you SAY?" When I can't hear what he says, I try to set a good example with "I'm sorry; I couldn't hear you" or even "Pardon?" Not working so far.

No comments:

Post a Comment