Saturday, April 28, 2012

7 Mares

    When Alice and I lived in Oak Grove, our most convenient Mexican restaurant was in the Piggly Wiggly strip mall at Oak and Augusta Roads. Alice was particularly fond of their chilaquiles. If we called them chilli-killies, well, don't sue us.
    Shortly after Alice and I went out of business, the restaurant did, too. Now a new Mexican restaurant has opened in the same space. Specializing in seafood, it's called 7 Mares. Now I don't know Spanish, but I know enough Latin to know what this means. (Or I hope I do; I'm bettin' 7 seas.) But I have to feel that just about any name would have been a better one than this one. Even writing out "siete" would have been an improvement, I think (as in "Hey, folks! This is SPANISH!")
    Hopefully, they'll thrive and get a lot of laughs out of it. But the previous place was great, with friendly service and wonderful food, and didn't have a name that suggested you would be eating horse, and didn't succeed. On the other hand, I'll probably go there. Mexican seafood seems right up my alley.

2 comments:

  1. You can listen to Mexican radio there, and put horseradish on your haddock. But do try to order the mare fricassee, just to see what the frick they say!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm holding out for barbecued iguana!

    ReplyDelete