Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Missed it

    When I was 17, I had the good fortune to tour France all summer with a group (mostly) from my high school. I also had the good fortune to miss "Ring My Bell" by Anita Ward. On the other hand, I also missed "My Sharona" and, I think, "Roxanne." You pays your money and you makes your choices.
    Three years later (or I guess it must have been four since I was a junior both times), I was even more fortunate to spend a year abroad in Canterbury. It was a tremendous hoot in almost every way, but my bad song dodging karma definitely deserted me. I got to experience "Come On Eileen" as a monster hit in Britain. Then I got home and it became a monster hit stateside. Tura lura indeed.

3 comments:

  1. Are you mad, sir? *Ring My Bell* was awesome! I used to roller skate the hell out of that song.

    ReplyDelete
  2. But you're right about one thing: the early 80s were a bad time to be an Eileen.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The real question: what was Linda Blair really like?

    ReplyDelete