Thursday, April 5, 2012

Birdies

    I love Spring. Really. But when the world's greatest mockingbird goes off at 4 in the morning, I love it maybe a trifle less. At the moment, some blessed creature is chirping so as to be audible even over slightly loud music. The latter isn't much of a problem, but the 4 am concerts are. At one point a freight train went by (also a problem, but at least I knew the tracks were there when I moved here) and I could still hear the dang mockingbird.
    I play music low in hopes of sleeping the night through, but birdy easily overwhelms it. If I played it loud enough to drown out the bird, it would also be too loud to let me sleep. Maybe I should get CDs of birds singing. I think it's the randomness and intermittentness that wakes me. If the bird song were constant, maybe I could sleep. Maybe.
    I got to talk to the social worker at the dialysis facility and voiced my concerns. They got him in a lot quicker this time. I did convey that although I wasn't asking for priority because he's a big wheel, I thought that being 91 did give him a certain priority. Hopefully the message was received.

2 comments:

  1. I find that, when sleeping with music on, that there is a magical volume level, loud enough to hear but not so loud as to make you listen, that functions optimally. It seems to encourage your brain to interpret the outside sounds as part of the music and thus something to be dismissed. You probably know all this. Perhaps a constant white noise generator, like a fan, could be helpful here. And of course nothing helps when they start jackhammering outside your window!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The question is, can I sleep with earbuds in? I still can't decide what I think about this.

    ReplyDelete